Peace Corps Part deux: Moroccan Nights

Mandatory Disclaimer: The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or people, the Mauritanian government or people, or the Peace Corps.

Monday, August 17, 2009

A few nights short

So it looks like I won’t quite make it to my 801st Mauritanian night. The Peace Corps is leaving Mauritania because the security situation became too dangerous. It’s been a crazy past couple of weeks during the evacuation process as we were first all moved to Senegal while a security team evaluated the safety of Mauritania. We waited in limbo for a while not sure if we were going back to Mauritania or not. Last week they moved us to a really nice hotel and then scheduled a meeting. Some Peace Corps staff had come from D.C. to give us the news, and as soon as we saw the oreo’s and cheez-it’s that they had brought for us we all new Peace Corps in Mauritania was over.

I will be transferring to Morocco and continuing my Peace Corps service with two more years in Morocco. I will be doing youth development continuing with my Arabic and I don’t know a whole lot more than that.

The good news also is that I will be coming home for a couple of weeks in the meantime. I will fly into New York August 18th. I will leave for Peace Corps September 8th. That leaves me about 2.5 weeks to enjoy all that makes America great, eat as much as I can, see everyone, and prepare for leaving again. I am excited to be going back to the States after over a year away.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Seth!
I met you in Ithaca before you left. What a bummer! You are brave to start over. Good luck in Morocco!
Maggie

August 17, 2009 at 8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seth,We've really enjoyed your posts from the RIM & may follow you in your new posting. Good luck in all you do!
The Kelleys-parents of Mike

August 17, 2009 at 9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home